Practical Functional Assessment and Skill-Based Treatment of Problem Behavior
- For a perspectives paper on the importance of functional analysis to the functional assessment process and for strategies to overcome common obstacles for conducting functional analyses, click here.
- For a summary of this article in French, click here (thanks to Mélanie Ammeloot).
- For an empirical study showing the the meaningful outcomes produced from practical functional analyses informed by open-ended interviews (i.e., IISCAs), click here.
- For a video introducing this article, click here.
- For a study showing how a differential reinforcement-based treatment can reveal the relevance of the parts of synthesized reinforcement contingencies, click here.
- For an empirical study showing meaningful outcomes from practical functional analyses implemented by ecologically relevant people in typical places like the home and school, click here.
- For a study demonstrating the generality of the practical functional assessments and revealing a way to conduct a functional analysis in 5 minutes, click here.
- For a series of empirical analyses demonstrating the importance of contingency based progressive delays, an effective procedure for transporting FCT-based treatments into everyday life, click here.
- For a study showing the relative advantages of conducting a practical functional assessment process over a standard functional analysis, click here.
- For a study that showing the strong probability of meaningful outcomes produced from practical functional analyses informed by open-ended interviews, click here.
- For a study that highlights the procedures to, and importance of, shaping a functional communication response, click here.
- For a study that describes the prevalence and utility of synthesized reinforcement contingencies in the assessment and treatment literature, click here.
- For a study that illustrates how a 5-min interview-informed analysis can lead to effective treatment outcomes, click here.
- For a study that shows the strong probability of a differentiated IISCA with sessions as brief as 3 min, click here.
- For a study demonstrating that the most concerning topographies of problem behavior were sensitive to the same synthesized reinforcement contingency as other topographies of problem behavior for 9 out of 10 children, click here.
- For a study that evaluates the utility of brief session durations during an IISCA, click here.
- For a review that evaluates the degree to which functional communication training has been established as an evidence-based practice, click here.
- For a study that shows that teaching an omnibus mand does not preclude the acquisition of specifying mands, click here.
- For a review on the standardization of the functional analysis, click here.
- For studies on analysis brevity and it’s effect on control and efficiency of the functional analysis, click here and here.
- For a study examining the generality of the practical functional assessment and skill-based treatment, click here.
- For a translational study examining the effects of reinforcement schedule thinning on contextually appropriate behavior, click here.
Prevention of Problem Behavior
- For an empirical study describing an effective, class-wide curriculum for preventing problem behavior, click here.
- For a systematic replication of the class-wide curriculum for preventing problem behavior in Head Start classrooms, click here.
- For a randomized controlled trial (RCT) of a small-group curriculum for preventing the development of problem behavior in young children, click here.
- For a brief review of the published literature on the Preschool Life Skills program for preventing the development of problem behavior, click here.
Functional Assessment and Treatment of Sleep problems
- For an empirical study describing how to functionally assess and treat sleep problems of children, click here.
Treatment of Stereotypy
- For an empirical study that describes an effective and socially validated means of addressing chronic stereotypy exhibited by adolescents with autism, click here.
- For an empirical study that demonstrates the importance of contingent access to stereotypy when attempting to gain stimulus control of stereotypy, click here.
Systematic Replications of PFA and SBT treatment from other research groups
- For a replication to the home setting with a client enrolled in Early Intensive Behavioral Interventions, click here.
- For a replication with a young boy diagnosed with Autism and Opposition Defiant Disorder, click here.
- For a replication to the school setting including treatment extension to teacher aides implementing treatment across the entire school day, click here.
- For a replication extending the treatment to new contexts and settings, including six week follow-up, click here.
- For a replication to the home setting with treatment extension to novel settings, stimuli, and to parents, click here.
- For a literature review on the current practical functional assessment and skill-based treatment research, click here.
- For a replication in a early intensive behavioral intervention site, including additional measures of social validity and parental pre and post stress, click here.